Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Chores

Why am I sitting awake, blogging at 11:57pm when my husband is out of town and I am on full-time mama duty tomorrow? Why wouldn't I take this opportunity to turn it in early and get some rest? ... I can't explain it...

Anyway, this morning, Calvin got upset. HE wanted to feed the dog. HE wanted to let her out into the backyard. But, he was denied, because this is officially Max's chore. Feeding the dog twice a day, keeping her water bowl full (kinda) and letting her out to pee, is how Max earns his allowance. He does it, actually, quite well. So well, in fact, that if he isn't around, it takes me a bit longer than it really should to realize why the poor old lady is staring at me mournfully in his absence. "Hello.... I'm starving over here, though I hardly notice due to the impending rupture of my bladder...."

I explained to Calvin why this chore is officially his brother's purview, and it got him thinking. Now, thankfully, since he is only 3 1/2, he didn't wise up to the whole "Hey, I could get some money out of this deal?!?" But, God bless him, he wants a chore just because he wants to be helpful. How I DO love the almost-4-year-old outlook on life. 

I threw out "You could make the beds in the morning?" "YEAH! I'll make the beds!" said a delighted little man. He was tickled with his new found responsibility. Then Spencer, who had been listening to this whole interchanged, chimed in. "Mom, I know what I can do! I'll make popsicles!"

Now, the more I thought about this, the more it actually makes sense. I mean, his dad earns his keep every day going and making beer. Is it really that different? Why not give him allowance for popsicles? Who doesn't love popsicles?

I pondered these things as I walked through the house after the children's departure this morning, wandering past the empty water dish and unmade beds....

2 comments:

spicydish said...

Not only is she beautiful, can sing, can dance, is a busy doctor, cooks gourmet meals, appreciates beer, is a fabulous mother to four kids -she also writes a funny comtemplative blog.
Now, if she only had curly hair, she would be absolutely perfect.

Julie Coleman, Freelance Editor said...

You've practically got your own little sweatshop crew there! Give 'em a couple more years, and you won't have to lift a finger. ;-)