Monday, January 25, 2010

Bucket List

Shortly after Omar and I had made it official that we were going to spend the rest of our lives together, we made "The List." We called the the "100 list," but it has now become more popularly known as the "Bucket List" - i.e. the things you want to do before you kick the bucket.

We have a myriad of things on there... have kids, go to an Olympic event, go to New Zealand. You get the point. Then there is the one I always thought was ridiculous.

"Watch the Vikings win the Super Bowl."

I balked when Omar added that. I told him this was something that was silly to have on the list, as we have absolutely NOTHING to do with that.

And then I drank the kool-aid. We bought the season's tickets. We watched every game along the way. We would skip cabin weekends to make sure we saw key games. We bought purple for all the kids at all the ages. We held watch parties. We cheered and screamed till we couldn't speak.

And now, as I type this, I am actively nauseous. I am so very, bitterly, profoundly disappointed. I had said "All I want is a good game," but I think 41-0 a few years back was easier on the soul. Last night was one of the most emotionally up and down nights of my life. That might sound melodramatic, but it really is true. It was a crazy, crazy game that we both SHOULD have won and gave away.

So. Time to move on.

It's just a game.

Common Favre.... let's roll the dice again.... I have a list to check off!

2 comments:

Golla said...

You think this is bad? The '98 Vikings was worse.

Unknown said...

That loss was rough!

The only silver lining that I see is that I have another good life lesson to teach my eldest son, who is the ultimate SORE LOOSER!!!!

Next year Becca, next year.