Thursday, October 29, 2009

Nicely done

The last time I cooked with jalapenos, I made the mistake of touching them with wild abandon. I was seeding them, and decided to disregard a friend's trick about putting your hands in sandwich bags, therefore keeping all those piping hot oils from forever contaminating your fingers.

Mind you, this was after I openly mocked a woman for COMING TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM because her fingers were burning from cutting up jalapenos (not to her face, of course, but come on, really? I can read the internet as well as you can...).

Karma, being the *)&*^%$ that she is, subsequently sent my jalapeno laced hands into the firey pits of hell. Blazing fingertips. We are talking rocking-gently-forward-and-back-during-dinner, just shy of moaning kind of burning. "Take THAT you mean mocking doctor!"

So, this weekend, I was not going to be Karma's fool twice. While I seeded my seranos, I had the sandwich bags firmly in place, smug little smile on my face. Just try to hurt me NOW, you pesky little pepper. So clever am I...

Do you know what's worse than having your fingers on fire? That would be having your baby's mouth on fire after you drop one of those little peppers without noticing it. There is Leo, tongue protruding from his mouth, tears streaming, saliva pooling, hands batting at his mouth in an effort to "GET IT OFFA ME!!" 7 minutes of looking at his sad little face, waiting for it to wear off. No interest in the sippy cup of milk that might, just might, make it a bit easier...

So go head, add it to the list of reasons to nominate me for Mother of the Year. I think I'm inching closer and closer to a LOCK!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was thinking the bag was going to slip and you would slice your finger off. So glad that didn't happen!

Poor Leo, that would suck but I think you might have to do more damage then that to Lock Down MOTY (Mother of the Year). Like leave the knife on the floor.