Saturday, May 9, 2009

Good vibes comin

In the last week, I found out 2 of my dearest friends from ye ol' college days are coming to town. My man Chris Kottom (and his lovely wife and 2 kids) will be arriving at the end of the month. Kottom is the guy that I *really* got to know in the steam tunnels under the Carleton College campus. We had the fabulous job of removing any unused pipe, wiring or cable from the underground labyrinth beneath the dorms. This involved a saws-all, a hard hat, and a lot of grime.

Now, this was back in the day when I felt I had something to prove as a chyck. Back when I was a womyn with a Y, and don't you forget it! Enter this burly corn fed Minnesota boy. Oh, sister, I felt like I had to haul it like She-ra. How completely misguided I was. Kottom was more than happy to let me knock my socks off, and didn't think any more or less of me for it. He kept doing his thing, certainly giggling internally at this completely insane gal with some weird chip on her shoulder. By the end of the summer, we took turns napping in the tunnel after long nights at the Rueb, given we could always see if the boss-man was a'comin. Ah, those were the days. Few people can crack me up the way Kottom can. He is one of kind.

The friendship started in those tunnels is still one that fits me like a comfy old sweatshirt, despite the fact that he lives in the Czech republic and I see him only every few years. He emailed me the other day to confirm both the trip and the fact they will be staying with us... I can't wait.

Then, my schedule for this summer came out, confirming I have Labor Day weekend off. That was the final step in launching a cabin weekend with Mark, Kristen and their 2 girls. I can still vividly recall breaking down and weeping in the Burton stairway after saying goodbye to Mark after graduation. We were so close our Senior year that I couldn't imagine he wouldn't be there every day after that. Then, he goes out and finds this equally whip-smart smart-crackin' wife that I adore (please see Motherload to your left). We last convened 2 years ago, and the idea of more tomfoolery at the cabin fills me with a giddy joy. The fact that the 3rd amigo, Gary, may also join in, is almost enough to set me skipping.

There is something about the friendships forged in college that stands alone. We went through so many ups and downs over the years. Sure, much of it was high drama... but to this day, I would walk through fire for all of these guys.

What a great summer.

1 comment:

yobruno said...

want to see you wield a saws-all. add that to the agenda for labor day, pls.