Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It's just words...

Calvin and Spencer are in one of the most challenging phases of development right now... or at least *I* find it most challenging... they seem to like it quite fine. It's the "I'm going to say exactly the opposite of what you say" phase.

Examples:
Me: Calvin, it's dinner time.
Cal: No it's not.

Me: Spencer, time to get dressed.
Spencer: Nope

Me: Cal and Spence, I need you to go potty before we leave.
Both: No you don't.

It's the ultimate in "you can't tell me what to do" power struggle, and I hear this is what 2 and early 3 year olds are SUPPOSED to be doing at this phase... but how is it more 2 and 3 year olds don't end up dead???

Maybe it has something to do with me being a bit of a power freak myself. As Omar can attest (as can my ever blossoming abdomen), I tend to get what I want. I like to think of it as just attaining end points that are clearly the way things SHOULD be, through reasoning, and well... because I'm right. I guess others might not see it that way.

Clearly, my children don't see it that way.

So, there are time outs, forced undressings of little children, flowing tears of kids enduring the terrible torture of having to go to the bathroom and sit on the toilet, though refusing to let a single drop pass to the water below. Or, I just walk away... Is it too late to push this pregnancy into 2009?

No comments: