Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Remember that for the next 18 years

I was motivated as a child to do things simply because they were things I was told NOT to do. (There was the smoking, the sneaking out with friends when I was supposed to be at the movies. Also, there might still be visual evidence of the staple hole in my index finger from seeing what would happen if I pushed the stapler shut with my finger in it... twice. I guess that's not defiance so much as just stupidity). I also chose to not do certain things because I was told I should. I don't know if it's a second child syndrome (big bro always being more of a rule follower, having to carve out my own little rebel path), or just my contrary nature, or both. 

Thus, as a parent, I have the challenge of trying to get my kids to listen to everything I say, knowing I rarely did the same courtesy for my parents. Max, following in his first born uncle's footsteps, is very much a "good kid." He mostly follows the rules (except when he tried to steal from a store this last weekend... but that's a post I haven't quite mustered up the heart to dive into yet...), and feels bad when he doesn't. However, I frequently wonder if the 3 others will be more like me. There can be only one first born.

I try to keep this in mind when it comes to things that truly are important. Like wearing a helmet when you are on a bike. An an ER doctor, this is one that I REALLY need them to listen to. I have tried to not make a Big Deal of it, since lord knows those are the things we contrary people see as most tempting to disregard. I try to keep the "What a *complete* $&^$ing idiot that guy is!" comments to myself when we see a motorcyclist without one. I also try not to demonize motorcycles, because that is the quickest ticket guaranteeing one of my sons shows up to my house with one in 15 years. I try to keep it basic - You could hurt your brain, and that is really bad. It simply isn't a smart choice to not wear one. 

So, I was pretty happy yesterday when Calvin came to me with this report. 
Calvin: Mom! I feel off my bike! (said with great, happy enthusiasm)
Me: Are you ok, bud?
Calvin: Yeah! I had my helmet on! And I didn't even break my brain! (huge grin)

Let's hope it sticks.


1 comment:

Amy said...

As the older child who followed the rules, I think I have no idea what I've gotten myself into with Ripley. How did she get to be so independent and stubborn in just 14 short months? I am already going to have to take your advice of picking which things to put my foot down for.