Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Max steps out

Tonight, Max isn't sleeping in his bed. He isn't sleeping in our house. He isn't even sleeping in a grandparents' home.

No, my kiddo is officially puttin on his big-boy PJ pants, and is having his first overnight at camp. Now, of course, his camp is one hedge's distance from our house, but I digress...

And he really didn't seem anything other than excited. No fear, no apprehension, no last-minute "mom, I don't know if I am up to it" second-thoughts. Off he went, a quick wave to me, obviously forgetting that I was standing there ~2.4 seconds after my goodbye hug. 

I actually had to swing back to the camp to drop off a new sleeping bag (the 3 old ones being among the many thing that seem to have disappeared in our still-not-completed move... I am sure Max was relieved to see that I, in fact, did not bring him the worn out and apparently not-at-all-cool-anymore Nemo bag he so feared, but instead opted for a new good-old-generic orange Coleman bag from Target. I can now also rest assured that he won't be shot by deer hunters while he is away tonight). As I heaved it into the pile of 6-year-old overnight goodies, my kid was way too busy taking a turn at the slip-and-slide to give much more than a "Hey, thanks for dropping that off, lady" hand wave. 

Once home with the twins and Leo, Spence resumed his usual behavior of trying to climb into my body... and I took a second to enjoy it. All too soon, they will all be too big to want to be in mom's lap. 

No comments: