Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It was a good run

You know those stories we all heard about, either in real-life, or in some Oprah's choice novel... the mom/dad who went out for cigarettes and just never came back...

My husband just left to get us some dinner, and I don't truthfully know if he will ever return.

He just left a scene of the un-showered wife with the baby on one boob, three sons in the bedroom fighting bedtime with one fake crying over some grievous wronging over the denial of his right to a stuffed animal, and a kitchen woefully empty of any food other than Dino-bites and fish sticks. (Cue the country music)

This all comes as a grim chaser to the morning that will live in infamy. Now, I know it isn't right to laugh uproariously at the misfortunes of others, but at times, I just can't help myself. This morning, Max and Spencer came padding into our room as they usually do at 7:00 (not 7:02). As they climbed into the space between Omar and I, the usually squabbling of who gets to be next to mommy ensued. Every once in a while, as we did today, Max is allowed to win in the name of mild parity, and Spencer begins the passionate conniption (sp?).

Having awoken 37 seconds prior to this maelstrom, neither Omar nor I are really in the mood. But, since this is life as usual, we try bring things to a dull roar... but then it happened. The smell.

Both Max and Omar (keep in mind, I have the barrier of a 6 year old at this time) recoil from Spencer. Though Spencer was kind enough to remove the obviously foully poopy diaper before coming to our room, that doesn't mean he cleaned up any of the remaining detritus from his derriere. He clearly had taken off that Huggies, dropped it in the Diaper Dekor, pulled up his 8 year-old nearly thread-bear Peter Pan hand-me-down PJ shorts, and came in our room for some quality snugglin.

Now here is the part I can barely type about because of the tremors caused by laughter as I sit here. In the battle over real estate in our bed, Spencer apparently sat on Omar's face.

Though he describes it as possibly the grossest thing that has ever happened to him, I can still find the silver lining of humor.

I wonder where that dinner is...

5 comments:

Christopher said...

That is the funniest and grossest thing I've heard in weeks...Sure beats Chelsea barfing into my hands last night...Oh the joy of children...
Christopher

Amy said...

I think I am very glad I didn't read any of this before we got pregnant last year. We thought the small wet spot on our bed from a leaky diaper was a big deal. Now it seems, it is just the tip of the iceberg...

CaptainT said...

Mmm, poop.

Julie Coleman, Freelance Editor said...

Suddenly a little pee on the wall doesn't sound so bad....

Unknown said...

Wow, that's the best thing I have read all morning.

Thanks!