Saturday, May 5, 2012

Little League

Yup. That's my "baby." That lanky, kinda gangly 9 year old.

Given that he picked up a glove for (basically) the first time 3 weeks ago, and really has never swung a bat, he has yet to be a major contributor to the squad. And the practice schedule is pretty brutal - basically every night while school is, of course, still in session. And one of his games the other night ended at 9:50pm on a Wednesday. And he can't keep track of his gear.

But MAN does he love it. And the kicker? So do I. I LOVE watching his games. And I have pretty universally bored by baseball in the past, certainly the TV version. I love nearly biting my fingernails off when he steps up to the plate. I love cheering for his teammates when they get hits. I love that he gets to play under the lights, buy food from a concession stand and feel like he is part of a big-time team.

It is just so much fun.

So, the skills will come, the nights will be late, the homework will be rough, and the food we eat as family will be closer to the "garbage" quadrant of the food pyramid, but man will we enjoy it.

No comments: