Thursday, July 21, 2011

All that's left...

... is the race.

I just wrapped up my last real exercise before I try to kick the Chisago Half Ironman in the teeth on Sunday. A little dip in the lake tomorrow and then nothing but nervous energy as I pack my things up and try to make sure I have everything I need. Saturday, the kids are doing the little-people triathlon (let's hope it goes better than last year), then Omar scoops up the hopefully joyous children, takes them home, and I stay there to stew in my juices until morning. Thankfully, Nathan and Jon will be there with me, and I am very much looking forward to dinner with these wonderful friends, ruminating over our shared 1st journey to this point. Our spouses will be overjoyed to not be subjected to this full-frontal triathlon talk-fest that is going to ensue (as they have been for the last 5 months).

Due to the fact I have a watch that tracks my every movement, I can tell you what it takes to get to this point. I have biked or run my body 1398.9 miles since 3/1, and this doesn't count swimming (the watch has a little trouble logging those miles). For fun, I just looked on mapquest, and that's 46 mile MORE than it would take to get to my brother's house in Worcester, Massachusetts from my garage. I have spent 109:38 hours accomplishing all of these tasks.

I have tried not to drive Mary crazy with my questions or my intermittently foul attitude about this entire brand of mental illness. Mary, who I both thank and blame for all of this! She, by the way, qualified last weekend to go to Las Vegas and compete in the Half Ironman World Championships. My goals are a little less lofty, but we'll see if I come home with anything.

So, wish me luck! Think good thoughts as I swim 1.2, bike 56 and run 13.1 miles. I swore I wanted to accomplish this once in my life, and basically, I have.

3 comments:

Julie Coleman, Freelance Editor said...

Good for you! Just having gone through all this training is an accomplishment, let alone doing the race! Good luck on Sunday!!! Looking forward to getting lunch soon and catching up on everything.

spicydish said...

.. and doing all of this while dealing with 4 children, a heavy job, a crazy husband and two sets of grandparents..
Good luck to you on Sunday!
We are so proud of you.

Unknown said...

You are so gonna kick it in the teeth! You have worked hard, attained your goals, all that is left is to let it unfold and enjoy the day. Don't forget to enjoy the day!!!

You are strong, steady and ready my friend...take a deep breath, all the work is done.

Have fun and good luck.