Thursday, June 11, 2009

4 years ago today...

... two little boys came into this world to join this crazy family.

And they haven't stopped moving yet! So, to my sons, I say this:

Calvin, you are a wry and funny little man. You love to streak through our kitchen each morning simply because you know it will get a laugh. You repeat anything we find funny a few times over because you love being the comedian. You study the ways of your big brother, Max, trying with all your might to be a 6 1/2 year-old instead of a 4 year-old. You even try to hang with Max when he is hanging with Clyde and Sam (as me tries to be an 8 year-old instead of a 6 1/2 year-old!). You have come by your momma-given stubbornness honestly... and man can you work it! Once those little feet are in the sand, you mean business. I've never known what is better - have my will win because I am the momma (and give you a REAL show in stubbornness), or give in a bit, as an example... 

You love to study things intently, and you will not be swayed if you are really interested in something. Breakfast can just take a flying-leap as long as you are waiting to see Stink Brothers (a garbage truck) on a Friday morning. You are our night owl, and already you can sleep in more than anyone. I can already see the Saturday mornings of our future with you in bed 'till noon. You are very polite, really showing your ability to give a spontaneous compliment or say "Mom, look at those beauuuutiful flowers..." Your dad and I love you so very much. Happy Birthday my little man.

Spencer, you are my sweet, sensitive, watermelon lovin guy. If you could move back into my body, I am quite certain you would. You love to be a complete goofus, saying silly words or the opposite of what everyone else is saying. You and your blanket are rarely apart, and the 4 year old rule of "blankets stay in your bed" may be a toughy for the next few weeks. That, or we just won't be seeing much of you! It appears your main motivation in life right now is to NOT be just like your brothers. You like to mix it up, do it differently, even if that does mean wearing your underwear backwards and your shirt inside out. It's the Spencer way. How boring it would be around here if you were all the same.

You are my artist, though I hope you soon pick up on the fact that markers without caps don't last too long... You were so very excited this morning to be the birthday boy that I thought your little head was going to pop. You kept hugging me in my bed, then you would pop up, grin super excitedly in my face, and then drop down again to hug me. Your dad and I love you so very much. Happy Birthday little man.

3 comments:

Jules said...

Happy, happy birthday, Cal & Spence! We hope you had a very fun day.
-Julie & Tomkin

yobruno said...

happy birthday, boys! smooches from your homies in cali!

Amy said...

I don't think I ever made the connection that they are geminis (like Ripley). How fitting.